What are Web Services?
- Web services are application components
- Web services communicate using open protocols
- Web services are self-contained and self-describing
- Web services can be discovered using UDDI
- Web services can be used by other applications
- XML is the basis for Web services
How Does it Work?
The basic Web services platform is XML + HTTP.
XML provides a language which can be used between different platforms and programming languages and still express complex messages and functions.
The HTTP protocol is the most used Internet protocol.
Web services use XML to code and to decode data, and SOAP to transport it (using open protocols).
Web services platform elements:
- SOAP (Simple Object Access Protocol)
- UDDI (Universal Description, Discovery and Integration)
- WSDL (Web Services Description Language) Continue reading